28 useless in someday in preventing within the central province of Yemen | World information
By AHMED AL-HAJ, Associated Press
SANAA, Yemen (AP) – In the oil-rich government stronghold of Marib province, fighting between Yemeni government-related forces and Houthi rebels has broken out, in which at least 28 fighters, security officials from both sides and tribesmen have been killed in the past 24 hours, the leaders said on Thursday.
Most of the fatalities were among the Iran-backed rebels who attacked the city of Rahbah, officials said, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they did not have the authority to inform the media.
The rebels have accelerated their push to capture Marib in recent months while escalating cross-border attacks on Saudi Arabia, leading the military coalition to oppose them. Thousands of fighters – mainly Houthis – were killed in the offensive, 12 government troops were killed on Monday.
Since then, fighting has intensified in Rahbah, which was under the control of the Houthi for almost two years before falling to government forces in July.
Political cartoons about world leaders
Meanwhile, the Saudi Arabia-led coalition has launched dozens of air strikes on cities in Marib – including Rahbah, Sirwah and Madghel – in support of pro-government ground forces, according to the Houthi media center.
The civil war in Yemen began in 2014 when the Houthis conquered Sanaa and much of the north, forcing President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government to flee.
The Saudi Arabia-led coalition, backed by the US at the time, entered the war to try to bring Hadi back to power. A relentless aerial campaign and ground fighting have killed more than 130,000 people and sparked the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.
It has also created smaller, parallel conflicts between militants and various factions within the country.
A Yemeni military spokesman said at least 30 soldiers were killed in a rocket and drone attack on an important military base in southern Yemen on Sunday. It was one of the deadliest attacks in the country’s civil war in recent years. At least 64 people were injured in the attack on Al-Anad Air Force Base in Lahj Province. Nobody immediately admitted to the attack.
Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.