A pupil was killed in a college capturing in North Carolina. The suspect is at giant: NPR

Concerned parents stand in the parking lot of a mall in Winston-Salem, NC, where a student was killed in a high school shooting on Wednesday. Authorities were looking for the suspect, officials said. Foreman / AP skip Hide caption

Toggle caption

Skip foreman / AP

Concerned parents stand in the parking lot of a mall in Winston-Salem, NC, where a student was killed in a high school shooting on Wednesday. Authorities were looking for the suspect, officials said.

Skip foreman / AP

WINSTON-SALEM, NC – A student was killed in a shooting at a North Carolina high school Wednesday and authorities were looking for the suspect, officials said.

Winston-Salem Police Chief Catrina Thompson fought back tears and said at a news conference that Mount Tabor High School was immediately banned when emergency responders, deputy sheriff’s and police officers arrived shortly after noon to look for the suspect, who she believed was a student at the school.

The injured student was taken to a local hospital where he died, Thompson said.

Forsyth County Sheriff Bobby Kimbrough Jr., who joined the school’s deputies and officials on the first call, identified the dead student as William Chavis Raynard Miller Jr.

“I haven’t cried in a while, but I’ve been crying since I left the hospital,” said Kimbrough.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Christina Howell said all other students were safe and that authorities were “actively looking for the suspect.”

Police blocked roads leading to the school, which has over 1,500 students enrolled, and numerous ambulances were on site. Parents desperate for information parked their cars on the sidewalks a few blocks from the school when police diverted traffic away from campus. Students and parents were seen walking towards a nearby mall.

Christopher Johnson said his son told him he heard the gunshots in the gym and that the students were told to go into hiding because there was an active shooter on campus.

“You see something like that in the media,” said Johnson, whose son was still in school and waiting to be transported to a pick-up point. “It’s scary to know that it actually touched and touched you this time. My son is not a victim, but he is a part of it and will probably remember it forever. “

Police vehicles were later seen escorting school buses carrying Mount Tabor students off campus in order to be reunited with their parents.

The sheriff’s office said other schools in the area have been closed as a precaution, but no further shootings or injuries have been reported.

Governor Roy Cooper said in a statement that he had been briefed by law enforcement, noting that this was the second school shooting in the state this week. A 15-year-old was charged after a student was shot and wounded during a fight Monday at a Wilmington high school.

“We have to work to keep students and teachers safe, arrest the shooter quickly, and keep guns out of the school grounds,” said Cooper.

Comments are closed.