Mike Richards as ‘Jeopardy!’ Host after inspecting the previous | Us world information

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Producer Mike Richards resigned as host of “Jeopardy!” after a report of past misogynistic comments surfaced earlier this week.

Richards was chosen to replace Alex Trebek last week, but his selection was considered controversial from the start after the show embarked on a broad search that included actors, sports characters, journalists and celebrities.

Earlier this week, a report on The Ringer website revealed humiliating comments about women that Richards made on a podcast. The clips were removed after the report was published online.

“In the last few days it has become clear that further development as a host for our fans would be too much of a distraction and not the right step for the show,” said Richards in a note to the “Jeopardy!” Employees on Friday. “Therefore, I will resign as host with immediate effect. For this reason we will stop production today. “

Richards said the search for a new host will begin again. The show will resume production with guest hosts who will be announced later, Richards said.

His note indicated that he will remain the show’s executive producer.

“I would like to apologize to each of you for the unwanted negative attention that Jeopardy has received! over the past few weeks and for the confusion and delays this is causing now. I know I still have a lot to do to regain your trust and confidence.

While Richards is the host of the popular game show “Jeopardy!” also announced last week that actor Mayim Bialik would “Jeopardy!” Prime-time and spin-off series, including a new college championship.

Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed in any way without permission.

Comments are closed.